Create Custom Texture ImageFollow
Create various custom texture images and apply to fabrics to express variety of fabric in CLO.
There are four steps total to create a custom texture image: Scanning Fabric, Making Repeat, Matching DPI (Resolution), and Adjusting Color. In order to make custom texture image, image editing software, such as
Scan fabrics to digitize real world fabrics.
If scanner is not available, use digital camera or cellphone camera instead.
- Prepare the scanner, digital camera, or cellphone camera.
- Spread the fabric flat on an even surface and photograph it, aligning the grainline perpendicular to the scanner or the camera's corner of the screen.
- Send the image to the computer.
When a fabric is observed carefully, you can find the structure which repeats like a pattern and the structure of the fabric is often indicated as a Repeat. To express a fabric's texture, create a Repeat using the scanned image. Ways to create a Repeat differs depending on the characteristics of each fabric.
Please refer to the appropriate guideline as needed.
When Fabric Structure is Small and Irregular
. If PixPlant is not available, please use other image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop.
- Left click on the Add button on the right top corner and locate the scanned image to load.
- Left click on the Straighten Seed > Click to Edit button, then select a clean part of the scanned image.
- Click the Generate button to create a Repeat.
- The area inside the square box in the Texture Canvas window represents the Repeat.
Repeat procedure 3 and 4 until the desired Repeat is achieved.
- To recreate some portion of the Repeat, drag to select the desired part within the square box in the Texture Canvas window.
- When the desired Repeat is achieved, click Save.
When Fabric Structure is Big and Regular
- or other image editing software.
- Find the smallest repeated area on the scanned image.
- Select and cut the repeated area.
- Copy, paste and align repeated area to check if they align naturally.
- When the repeated area does not align properly, showing grid lines, edit the image to make it align more smoothly.
- When the desired image is achieved, save the image.
※ Note: When creating Repeats for fabrics with transparency, please select and delete the Repeat image's background and save it as PNG.
- Launch Adobe Photoshop.
- Open previously created Repeat.
- Navigate and select Main Menu > Image > Image Size.
When a pop-up window appears, toggle on the Resample Image option and adjust the DPI (Resoultion) value respective to the DPI (Resolution) of the original scanned image. Open the original scanned image in Adobe Photoshop to check its DPI (Resolution) value.
- Save the Repeat.
Match the Repeat's color respective to the real world fabric. Occasionally, photographing fabric may distort the fabric's real color. In these cases, after creating a Repeat image, adjust its color, matching the color to the original fabric's color. Open the Repeat in an image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop and adjust color as needed.